About Me

Blog containing my likes, dislikes, rants and raves.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

American Idol Top 13 recap

LAUREN ALAINA - Very Karaoke version of A Shania Twain song. Dont' even remember which song she sang. Maybe Any Man of Mine but not sure. Disappointing and on the chopping block but will probably survive.

CASEY ABRAMS - "With A Little Help From My Friends" by Joe Cocker. Very good rendition and one of my favorites on the show. Not the best he has done or the best of the night but he will survive.

PAUL MCDONALD - "Come Pick Me Up" by Ryan Adams. I was shocked that a Ryan Adams song was sung. I am a huge Ryan Adams fan and glad to see him getting some air time especially with maybe my most favorite song of his. This is not the first time a Adams song was sung on idol. A few years back, contestant Blake Lewis sang a Tim McGraw song called "When the Stars Go Blue. Well what Blake failed to mention was that was a Ryan Adams cover by McGraw but I digress. Come Pick Me Up was a song he wrote very quickly one day years ago and is on Heartbreaker which is a great album (I actually have an mp3 of the first time he ever played it live). Great song and Paul McDonald gave it no justice. America doesn't know Ryan Adams except for possibly the fact that he is married to Mandy Moore and this performance won't help that fact. The guy's voice is a dead ringer for Rod Stewart except Rod Stewart is the only one who can pull it off. This guy will be the first one voted off.
Below is the album version unedited of course which is the best way to hear this song. Enjoy america and pick up Ryan Adams music. You won't regret it.


PIA TOSCANO - "All By Myself" Simply put, WOW! This woman is the complete package. Not only is she drop dead gorgeous but she can sure sing. I shudder when I hear contestants trying to sing Whitney, Mariah or Celine. I am a huge Celine fan and was glad to see someone pulling off one of her songs. Many have tried but none come to mine as actually pulling it off on Idol's history. Well done Pia and right now in my opinion you are the front runner...at least amongst the woman.

JAMES DURBIN - "Maybe I'm Amazed" Paul McCartney Got to give it up to Mr. Durbin. Excellent performance. Ballsy to do an iconic song by one of the top ten musicians of all-time but he did a respectable job. From Judas Priest to McCartney in back to back weeks, very impressive to pull both of those off. This kid reminds people a lot of Lambert. I think if he goes far he may be more popular. Only time will tell.

HALEY REINHART - Blue - Patsy Cline. Boring, pitchy and forgettable. Sayonara soon chica!

JACOB LUSK - "I Believe I can Fly R Kelly. This guy bugs me but the more I hear him sing, the more I like him. Another solid performance of a classic tune but lets do without a choir for the next few songs. Also, you may not want to mention that R Kelly is your idol. Guy is a very talented producer, singer and songwriter but lets not forget pedophile also.

KAREN RODRIGUEZ "Dreaming of You" Selena. One of my favorite songs and she at times sung it great and other times really bad. She couldn't hear herself obviously as Jennifer Lopez pointed out. Hopefully she survives because she is a strong contestant in my opinion.

SCOTTY McCREERY "The River" Garth Brooks. Man this for me was the shocker of the night. This kid was amazing. I'm not a big country guy but man, this could be on the radio tomorrow. He sounds so old school country. He will be big in country music. He won't win idol but man, out of all them he may have brightest recording future. The country market is strong and loyal and they love their deep voiced cowboys and he is one of them.

STEFANO LANGONE Lately" Stevie Wonder. I was introduced to this song back in the mid nineties by Jodeci who covered it for an MTV unplugged version and just killed it. Embedded below because frankly the best version ever recorded, period. Stefano mixed it up by making it kinda dance version and wasn't bad but not great. He'll survive.


THIA MEGIA - "Smile" Michael Jackson This girl can sing, that is apparent but she is not great. She annoys me the most out of all the remaining contestants and I don't know why. She'll survive but the crying at the end was lame. I know she is 15 but c'mon, woman up. They didn't give you a bad review, just not great. Come back next week and wow us or you will be gone soon. Also, read up on Charlie Chaplin...you should know who he is.

NAIMA ADEDAPO - "Umbrella" Rihanna. Wonder what Tricky thought of this. Jennifer nailed it in her criticisms. It is hard to dance and sing...that is why Usher, Janet and others don't sing live and dance. Only MJ could pull that off. I wasn't a fan of the performance nor of her really but she should survive. She picked a popular contemporary song that people know so she will survive.

The verdict is Paul McDonald will be going home but hey thanks for introducing a little Ryan Adams to America

No comments:

Post a Comment