About Me

Blog containing my likes, dislikes, rants and raves.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Idol Top 11 Recap

So this week the Idol contestants sang the classic songs of Elton John and Bernie Taupin. I grew up listening to Elton John all the time and he is my all-time favorite artists. I've seen him 4 times in concert and he never disappoints. I was excited and scared to see what the contestants would sing.

Scotty McCreery - “Country Comfort” off of Tumbleweed Connection. He picked a deep cut off this album. I really thought Scotty should have attempted Levon or Burn Down The Mission. The latter is on Tumbleweed Connection and is a more well known song. He did a admirable job and sounded good but forgettable.

Naima Adedapo - “I’m Still Standing” off of Too Low for Zero. This song is about Elton John surviving decades in the music business, his drug use and coming to grips with his sexuality. Naima must have chosen this because she is till around for some reason. When she mentioned she was going to do a reggae version, I shuddered. When the song started I was like this might work out. Of course it didn't and turned into a mess. She tried to sound Jamaican which she isn't too my knowledge. Bad performance of a great song. Time to go!

Paul McDonald - "Rocket Man" off of "Honky Chateau". I still don't get this guy. Not a bad performance but the judges gave him good advice to push his voice further. Still not buying this poor man Rod Stewart but he will survive for now.

Pia Toscano - "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" off of Caribou An outstanding performance. This girl is the complete package as I have said before. eEen if she doesn't win she might have the best career opportunities besides Scotty in the country scene. Perfect song, perfect performance and man that red dress she was wearing in the video montage was smoking hot on her.

Stefano Langone - "Tiny Dancer" off of Madman Across the Water. I didn't really feel much off of this performance. Just alright. He might have improved int he eyes of the judges in connecting to the audience but I didn't feel much. OK performance, he will survive.

Lauren Alaina - "Candle in the Wind" off of his classic double album Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Probably my favorite performance of hers. Very well done on a classic song. My only compliant is I wish she was a little older and more polished. She definitely shows her age and I think a little maturity will benefit her. If she was 18 or 19 I think she could walk away with this. Going to be there at the end probably.

James Durbin - “Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting” another track off of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Started out kinda weak for me vocally but he quickly picked it up and got it on track. Minor pitch issues throughout but who cares. He rocked it out and gave a great performance. The guy always seem to be having fun, which we can't say for the next contestant.

Thia Megia - “Daniel” off of Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player. BORING!!! Girl has no personality. For some reason I cannot stand her. Time to go. She sounds good but she comes off poor and I can't put my finger on it. Not sure if it is song selection or her personality. If you want to hear the best rendition of this great song besides Elton's version, listen to Brett Scallions of Fuel sing it.


Casey Abrams - “Your Song" off of Elton classic debut album Elton John. Casey trimmed the beard, looks professional and gave a solid performance of the greatest Elton John song ever recorded, "Your Song." This song put Elton on the map and saved Casey's butt. He will be back and if he keeps this up will go far. I don't think he will win however.

Jacob Lusk - “Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word” off of Blue Moves. Another solid performance. He toned down his over the top performances from the past and gave a great rendition of this Elton classic. Not my favorite of the night but still solid.

Haley Reinhart - “Benny And The Jets" off of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Haley opens the performance on a piano acting very sultry ala Michelle Pfeiffer in "The Fabulous Baker Boys." She gave a very sexy performance doing her best growl at times. Her best and most entertaining performance by far. She should be safe after that. Hope she can continue this.

Hopefully going home will be Thia Megia and Naima Adedapo but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone else go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment