About Me

Blog containing my likes, dislikes, rants and raves.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

WebOS shut down by HP


http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20094222-92/hp-halts-webos-business-spins-off-pc-unit/?tag=topStories

Today HP announced it is shutting down its webOS unit. I can't say I am surprised. Even though the webOS is slick and looks and handles well, it really had no chance against Apple's iOS and Google's Android OS. HP took a gamble in purchasing them which in my opinion was a bad idea. Then they announced plans to make webOS power their lines of PC's which also I thought was a poor idea. The problem for webOS was a lack of developer involvement. It is all about the apps and the webOS had very little compared to Android and Apple. This made the webOS phones have no shot nor its touch pad tablet. I think the future for HP is bleak. They are trying to become like IBM and that will take time. Took IBM over 10 years to be what it is today after getting out of the commercial hardware business. With HP wanting to spin or sell off it's pc unit, they will attempt to focus on servers and services. Good luck with that. I expect other players to swoop in and take market share from them.

Dell founder Michael Dell had the best tweet


MichaelDell
If HP spins off their PC business....maybe they will call it Compaq?

No comments:

Post a Comment