About Me

Blog containing my likes, dislikes, rants and raves.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Freakonomics




So the self proclaimed most loyal reader of this blog, the great BigHeeb91 informed me that the documentary Freakonimcs was released on Netflix. Having both books in my collection, I was eager to watch this. I started watching it on my iTouch as I downloaded the Netflix app and was streaming it at the airport. This was so cool and not bad watching on the small screen. I watched the first 40 minutes or so and then when I got home, fired up the xbox and picked up where I left off. Netflix is awesome.

Back to the documentary. It was well done having multiple segments written and directed by top documentarians such as Heidi Ewing, Alex Gibney (Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room), Seth Gordon (The King of Kong), Rachel Grady (Jesus Camp), Eugene Jarecki (The Trials of Henry Kissinger), Morgan Spurlock (Super size me). Stephen Levitt, the economist who co-wrote the books is a very smart man who has made some very controversial theories regarding social issues and economics. One of his most and one of my favorite is the linkage of Roe v Wade to the reduction in crime. The basis of the hypothesis is since abortion became legal, there were thousands of kids not born who would otherwise be unwanted and not have great childhoods which would in a lot of cases lead to a life of crime. This is not the only reason for the reduction in crime since 1989 but contributed to it according to Levitt.

Overall very well done. I recommend viewing it but first read the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment